A dental implant is an artificial tooth root replacement and is used in prosthetic dentistry. It is an advanced medical technology for the treatment of tooth loss. A titanium implant is implanted in the toothless area of the jawbone and left to heal over a period of 3-6 months. During this time the titanium implant integrates with the surrounding bone tissue providing a solid support for your crown, bridge or denture.
Implants look and feel like your own teeth, they are very durable and will last for many years provided they are looked after by brushing, flossing and regular check-ups.
It can treat cases untreatable with conventional methods of dental bridges and dentures and It also functions better than conventional dental bridges and dentures. It gives superior aesthetic results. It also supports the dentures and creates comfortable and effective utilization of dentures.
Single Dental Implants
Implants are the modern way to replace missing teeth. The implant, which is made of titanium, is fitted in bone where the tooth root would normally be. When fully integrated to the bone, a post (or abutment) is attached to the implant and a crown can be placed over the abutment to replace the missing tooth.
Multiple Dental Implants
Implants can be used to replace multiple missing teeth with implant crowns or implant-supported bridges as part of a smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction. Implant-Supported Dentures Multiple Implants can be used to securely retain highly aesthetic Cosmetic Dentures.
There are generally 3 elements that make up a full tooth replacement
Here seen from the side, this is a front lateral incisor. There are many options for the type of crown used such as porcelain fused to metal and the latest zirconia based crowns. Not every crown requires an implant; for example, if 3 teeth need replacing next to each other then usually only 2 implants are required with 3 crowns on top.
The post, which is the upper portion of the abutment, will in this case have the crown cemented onto it after the lower section is attached to the implant below. Notice the curved horizontal line which is designed to fit the lower curve of the crown. None of the abutment will be visible once the crown is fitted onto it. There are options for abutments from standard abutments right up to the most aesthetically pleasing zirconia abutments used primarily for front teeth.
The Dental Implant
None of the implant is visible once the abutment and crown have been fitted. There are a range of implants available and usually you will be able to choose the one that suits your budget. Some implants are better suited to solve certain problems but you will always be advised where this is the case.
Time duration for dental implant treatment
Usually two visits of 7 to 10 days each. The implant treatment usually consists of two stages with a time interval of 4 to 6 months between the two stages.
First stage :
The dental implant is placed. Time needed is one to two sittings. (total 7-10 days).
The artificial tooth ( crown) is placed. Time needed is three to four sittings. (total 8-10 days)
Total Smilecare specialises in Dental Implant surgery because :
- At Dr. Preeti’s TOTAL SMILE CARE, we use only the best dental implant systems from the world over e.g. Nobel Biocare, Bio Horizon,Southern, Ankylos ,Oraltronics, Endopore, Xive, Hi-tec, osstem ,Equinox, Mini implants etc. to suit each patient’s dental requirements and budgets.
- Our doctors are qualified and highly trained oral implantologists .
- Enhanced appearance.Dental implants give new, natural looking teeth thus enhancing the smile, speech and chewing functions.
- They reverse the negative impact of missing teeth by preventing bone loss and gum recession.
- Improved self esteem and confidence
- Dental implants are very secure. There is no slipping, wobbling or movement. They feel more comfortable and natural compared to removable dentures and bridges.
- As there is no need to file down the adjacent teeth, dental implants helps to maintain and protect them.
- Reliability .Dental implant treatment has a very good success rate. It is one of the best and long lasting replacements for missing teeth. Good oral hygiene, healthy gums and adequate bone structure all contribute to implant success.